Gatlinburg, TN is one of the most famous mountain resort cities in the world. It’s a popular vacation destination as it borders the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, almost serving as a main entrance. Many of the most beautiful areas of the National Park are accessible from Gatlinburg and just a few minutes away. For fall leaf viewers, it’s hard to find a better place to visit. Visitors can also take a short trip to Pigeon Forge, TN and visit one of the most sought-after entertainment destinations in Appalachia known as Dollywood. This family amusement park owned by the incomparable Dolly Parton is one of the top destination for visitors to Tennessee.
Gatlinburg offers outdoor adventures, kid-friendly attractions, and laid-back scenic charms that keep families, friends and couples coming back, year after year. Downhill snow skiing, Class-IV whitewater rafting, world-class golf and fishing and 600 miles of hiking trails in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park make Gatlinburg one of America’s premier outdoor destinations. All of these don’t even scratch the surface of what this mountain town has to offer. Contact a travel concierge today to plan your trip to Gatlinburg. Ziplining, snowboarding, tubing, biking and horseback riding are other recommended outdoor activities for your visit. Here are our five favorite outdoor activities to enjoy while in Gatlinburg:
- Hiking in Gatlinburg and surrounding areas will take your breath away. The mountains and valleys are covered with 600 miles of hiking trails in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. If you want to disappear into wooded hills and verdant valleys or take paths less-traveled, stop and grab a map at one of several visitor centers or download AllTrails, a mobile app with the largest collection of detail, hand-curated trail maps.
- Whitewater Rafting is a great family activity that doesn’t require years of experience. With several regional rivers just minutes away, Gatlinburg is a great place for whitewater rafting. Whether you’ve never been before or you’re an experienced rafter, Gatlinburg has the whitewater rafting adventure for you.
- Fishing can be therapeutic, educational, and downright fun. Gatlinburg and the streams of the Great Smoky Mountains are great places experience the old past-time and cast a line. Stop by one of the local outfitters for everything you need to enjoy your Gatlinburg fishing trip. From rods and reels to professional fishing guides, the local outfitters have just what you need to make the most of your visit, and local experts can offer professional insights and tips for any skill level.
- Golf is a game played by many and mastered by few. Teeing off is a little different in the mountains. The natural landscape in Gatlinburg makes for quite a few uniquely designed holes. Grab your clubs and test your skills on a beautiful Gatlinburg golf course, situated in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains. Two popular public golf courses in Gatlinburg feature some of the most picturesque rolling hills in the area.
- Strolling the strip in Gatlinburg is a great way to gain exposure to the countless other activities the amazing region has to offer. As you walk up and down the main drag, you’ll be able to take stock of museums, restaurants, breweries, distilleries, and shopping to experience on your visit.